Why Your Appliances Should Really Be Lasting Longer
New appliances don’t come cheap – so we all want to make sure we get as much out of them as possible. And whilst they all have an expected lifespan, at the end of which they will need to be replaced, it’s likely that your appliances aren’t lasting as long as they should be.
All too often, people throw appliances away that are simply in need of a little TLC. Without regular maintenance and repairs, your washer, dishwasher, oven and dryer won’t reach a grand old age.
Although it will depend on the make and model, here’s how long your appliances should last, as well as a few common (and fixable) issues you might experience along the way.
Washing Machines Should Last for Around 12 Years
According to Kiplinger, industry groups recommend that washing machines should last for around 11-12 years, with top-load washers lasting for slightly longer than front load washers.
Some common, fixable problems you may experience include:
- The drum not spinning – which could be caused by a broken drive belt or worn motor carbon brushes
- A smelly machine – which is caused by a build-up of bacteria and mould
- A washing machine door that won’t open – which could be caused by a door interlock switch failure or a broken handle
As well as getting any issues quickly fixed, you can also increase the lifespan of the machine by cleaning it monthly, using the correct detergent and not overloading with laundry.
Dishwashers Should Last for Around 13 Years
Surprised? With some TLC, an under the counter dishwasher should last for around 13 years. Some fixable problems you might experience along the way include:
- A dishwasher that won’t drain – which could be due to a blockage or damaged filters
- A dishwasher that leaks – which could be caused by an issue with the door latch or a leak in the hose
- A dishwasher that’s not cleaning properly – which could be due to improper loading or the wrong amount of detergent
As well as properly maintaining and repairing your dishwasher, you can also increase its lifespan by running it every week.
Ovens Should Last for Around 10 to 20 Years
According to Daily Finance, ovens and ranges can last for an impressive 10 to 20 years. Common but fixable problems can include:
- An oven that won’t heat up – which can be caused by burnt out heating elements
- An overheating oven – which can be caused by blocked vents or a faulty thermostat
- A hob that keeps sparking – which can be caused by things such as using excess water to clean the hob (a sparking hob can be very dangerous, and you should always consult a professional)
Aside from repairing your oven, regular cleaning can help to keep it working properly.
Tumble Dryers Should Last for Around 10 to 15 Years
One of the simplest appliances in your home, a well maintained tumble dryer should last for around 10 to 15 years (Daily Finance).Common yet fixable problems include:
- A tumble dryer that won’t heat – which can be caused by a tripped thermostat
- A tumbled dryer that won’t turn – which can be caused by a snapped belt
- A tumble dryer that’s blowing cold air – which can be caused by a clogged vent hose
To keep your tumble dryer working efficiently, it’s important to regularly empty the lint filter.
Surprised by how long your appliances should last? With the occasional repair and regular maintenance, you can make sure that you get the most out of your washing machine, oven, tumble dryer and dishwasher.
Here at Capital Repairs, we can help you to get more out of your appliances. With over 30 years’ experience in the industry, our highly qualified engineers can fix virtually any problem – a significantly cheaper option than buying a brand new appliance.
*The figures in this post were taken from external sources and may depend on brand and model
Image by Pixabay